Play for Scala shows you how to build Scala-based web applications using the Play 2 framework. This book starts by introducing Play through a comprehensive overview example. Then, you’ll look at each facet of a typical Play application both by exploring simple code snippets and by adding to a larger running example. Along the way, you’ll deepen your knowledge of Scala as a programming language and work with tools like Akka.
Play is a Scala web framework with built-in advantages: Scala’s strong type system helps deliver bug-free code, and the Akka framework helps achieve hassle-free concurrency and peak performance. Play builds on the web’s stateless nature for excellent scalability, and because it is event-based and nonblocking, you’ll find it to be great for near real-time applications.
Play for Scala teaches you to build Scala-based web applications using Play 2. It gets you going with a comprehensive overview example. It then explores each facet of a typical Play application by walking through sample code snippets and adding features to a running example. Along the way, you’ll deepen your knowledge of Scala and learn to work with tools like Akka.
Written for readers familiar with Scala and web-based application architectures. No knowledge of Play is assumed.
- Intro to Play 2
- Play’s MVC structure
- Mastering Scala templates and forms
- Persisting data and using web services
- Using Play’s advanced features
Table of Contents
Part 1: Getting started
Chapter 1. Introduction to Play 2
Chapter 2. Your first Play application
Part 2: Core functionality
Chapter 3. Deconstructing Play application architecture
Chapter 4. Defining the application’s HTTP interface
Chapter 5. Storing data—the persistence layer
Chapter 6. Building a user interface with view templates
Chapter 7. Validating and processing input with the forms API
Part 3: Advanced concepts
Chapter 9. Play and more
Chapter 10. Web services, iteratees, and WebSockets
- Paperback: 328 pages
- Publisher: Manning Publications (October 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1617290793
- ISBN-13: 978-1617290794
Note: There is a file embedded within this post, please visit this post to download the file.
- Pro ASP.NET Web API Security (25-04-2013)
- Java EE 7 Recipes (10-08-2013)
- ZeroMQ (17-04-2013)
- Programming the Mobile Web, 2nd Edition (19-04-2013)
- Programming ASP.NET MVC 4 (06-10-2012)
- Pro ASP.NET Web API (16-10-2013)
- Introducing Java EE 7 (14-08-2013)
- HTML5 for .NET Developers (30-01-2013)
- Dart in Action (30-01-2013)
- Yii Application Development Cookbook, 2nd Edition (09-09-2013)
- Working With TCP Sockets (06-01-2013)
- Scala in Action (16-07-2013)
- Scala Cookbook (19-09-2013)
- RESTful Web Services Cookbook (16-03-2010)
- Programming Grails (17-05-2013)
- Professional WebGL Programming (04-03-2013)
- Professional iOS Database Application Programming, 2nd Edition (06-05-2013)
- Professional ASP.NET 4.5 in C# and VB (28-07-2013)
The post Play for Scala appeared first on Wow! eBook.